While there, I had to get a TB test for school. No problems with that. But Sydney was late on two of her vaccinations. We went ahead and gave her both the D-TaP and Varicella vaccines. The next day on Friday, Sydney said her arm hurt. I took a look at it and there was a 4"x3" red, warm and inflamed patch on her arm. I was a bit concerned because she has never had a reaction. I marked the site, gave her Motrin and iced the site. Saturday came and the site grew another 2 inches and it was more red and the skin was so tight from the inflammation. I took her into urgent care at the busiest day in the last 4 years (so they told me). Lovely! After waiting 3 hours, the PA just marked the site (again) and told me to keep an eye on it and continue icing it. (waste of time & money!!!) She wanted to aspirate the site, but didn't think it would be possible considering how tight her skin/the site was. I was instructed to come back the next day if it site grows.
Well, Sunday morning I take a look at the site, and it had grown another 3 inches. Now this is a definite cause for concern. I wasn't sure if she would aspirate it. Sydney was terrified just thinking they might put another needle in her, and I don't blame her. The PA thought that because it was not as red as it was, and even though the site grew, it looked better. So now the treatment is to apply heat to have bring more blood to the site to break up the vaccination medication in her arm. Well, although it may look bad, Sydney had high spirits and didn't complain much when the PA poked & prodded her arm. There is a possibility of an abscess if it starts to look like a pimple, then she'll get antibiotics. Long story short, we will continue to monitor the site, especially where the injection was. I am sick of going to the doctors and I don't want to be back until my kids "well-child" visits
Oh, and to top it off, here's the icing on the cake. Friday night, I awoke at 1am to crying in the bathroom. Haley had severe diarrhea and was unable to completely make it to the toilet. After the mess was cleaned up, we went back to bed. She took it easy on Saturday and had lost her appetite. Saturday night at 1am, Haley came to my room to tell me her stomach didn't feel good. I rushed her to the bathroom, and this time she barfed profuse amount of vomit. Poor thing! I think we are finally on the mend and feeling much better...I'm crossing my fingers!
Sydney the day after the shot
Two days later...can you see a difference (larger size, but not as red...and so HAPPY!)
No comments:
Post a Comment