Saturday, November 7, 2009

Nature hike turned into historical trip

Today, I thought it would be fun to go on a family hike. After lunch we headed out to what I thought was just a hiking place. When we got there I soon realized we were in Coloma, a small town where the first gold in California was discovered in 1849. It was an old mining town with Sutter's Mill there.


There were so many historical points of interest to see and explore. We were having such a fun time, I almost forgot our purpose of coming there. In the visitor's center I asked where the trail was and soon we were hiking on the trail. At the end of the trail was a historical monument in honor of James Marshall the first man to discover gold in California. I would imagine he would have said "EUREKA!", but there was no mention of it. All it says is that he said, "Boys, I think I've found gold!" Soon after that the gold rush started.

The kids at Sutter Mill stone sign

The kids at the South fork of the American River, near Sutter's Mill

Sutter's Mill. It was rebuilt after a large flooding



At one of the sites, there was a Mormon cabin. The Mormon's came at the beginning of the gold rush as they were released out of the Mormon Battalion. The Mormon's came to Coloma to help with Sutter's Mill. There is such great church history in California...right in our own backyard.

Here is the inside of the Mormon's cabin (a replica cabin)



Inside the visitor's center was an antique stagecoach

After we got directions in the visitor's center, we were finally on our hike. Thankfully it was a short hike because towards the end, Sydney said, "I'm EXHAUSTED!"


At the top of the hill was James Marshall's monument.





Here we are overlooking the Coloma hills! Thanks to Haley's photography skills.



Kristen, Haley, Jeff & Drew in front of the monument


On our way back down the hill we found an old cemetery from the 1800's. It was interesting to walk through it.




This was James Marshall's cabin

When you gotta go, you gotta go! Marshall's outhouse.

A few old buildings. They are all originals to the middle 1800's. There was an old Catholic church that stayed open up until about 50 years ago.

On our way back from the hike, there was a fire truck who had put out a car fire. Drew watched the fireman in awe and amazement.

Drew found a cannon. He immediately hopped on and started with the sound effects.

Inside a tee-pee

It was a perfect day to explore outside and learn about some California history. I can't believe that it is only 14 miles away from our house. Now I know why they say that we live in the "Gold Country".

No comments: