One of my goals while the kids are in school was to paint and decorate our master bedroom. I thought it was just going to be one or two days commitment. I need to remember that projects always take much longer than expected, and this project was no exception.
I took a few "before" photos after I had moved all the furniture and was about to paint. I apologize for the poor quality images, but what can I say it's on my iphone (pre-purchase of new camera).
I did my homework on potential paint colors. I narrowed it down to two colors and had them painted on the wall. Jeff said he liked the darker color better, so I went with Slate Green by Glidden. I rolled it on and the color was a little more blue than I had anticipated, but I thought I'd let it dry to really make a decision. Before I knew it I had painted the entire room, minus the vaulted area. I was mortified with the color. It was BLUE! BLUE! Why would Slate Green turn out blue?
Can you see how blue it is? Mind you, our bedding is more of a (what Jeff calls it) minty green than blue, so this blue would not do. Back to the drawing board.I went down to the local hardware store to pick up different paint. I was concerned with going over a dark color on the wall, so I went a little lighter. I purchased Gray's Harbor from Sherwin Williams. As I was painting it, it looked white. White! What am I going to do? I only used about 1/4 of the paint can, so I went back to the hardware store and went a shade darker and bought another gallon of Hidden Cove. The super helpful and friendly hardware store worker added color to my already used "White" paint to match the new gallon of paint. I mixed the two when I got home to make sure the colors would blend right.
As I painted the walls, I was much happier, but the smoky-green color still turned out somewhat light blue. I just couldn't seem to get it right, but at least this time it matches the bedding and although it is a bit lighter than I wanted, I was very pleased with the color. It gives it a fresh and breezy feel to the room. I also like how the light blue/green really accents our dark furniture in the room.
Over the past few weeks, I have been accumulating items for the room, and I have finally had a few hours this morning to put it up and all together. Here is the finished product. I'm still wanting to put pictures above our bed, but that will just have to wait. I got the curtains, and balls in the apothecary jar from Ikea. The Apothecary jar and clock from Ross. The shelves from Target. I purchased 3 pictures of Seattle and 1 of the Tulips in Mount Vernon from our last trip. Now our room will always remind us of the 6 years we lived in the Northwest. All the other items I previously had.
The Master Bedroom Renovations are complete. One more thing to check off my list. Yeah!




3 comments:
It looks great! I definitely like the second paint color better... its fresh and light!
Great job on the master bedroom. Love the color of the walls. So soothing and relaxing. When it comes to paint I always pick the lighter color because paint dries darker.
I love the "new" room! Looks great.
I can relate to the frustration in paint color application. I recently had trouble with the paint color in the pan matching the paint chip...but on my walls the nice sage green was torquoise blue.
Post a Comment