Sunday, February 27, 2011

Training for a Half Marathon

I've ran a 5K and a 10K.  What's the next step for me?  I have finally decided to bite the bullet and fulfill one of my dreams.  I have always wanted to run a Half-Marathon.  The full marathon's are just crazy, so I set my sights to something more attainable for me.  Yesterday I was looking on Active.com, and an upcoming half marathon caught my eye.  It is scheduled for April 30.  The run is along the American River Trail in Sacramento.  That means I have 9 weeks to train for it.  It is very do-able and I'm starting on Monday.  I have scheduled the training around my work schedule.  Some days I will have to come home from work at 8am, take the kids to school, then run my short distance of 3 miles.  I made sure to schedule my longer training days for Saturdays when Jeff can be with the kids.  I'll hopefully be doing more flat routes on the long distance runs.   Most days, I'll have to do my runs in the afternoon when Drew is at school or early in the morning.  I will be getting a lot of vertical training as my house is at the top of the hill, and the end of my runs will be uphill. 

9-Week Half Marathon Training Schedule Week Totals:
Week 1:  run 13 miles

Week 2:  run 15 miles

Week 3:  run 16 miles

Week 4:  run 19 miles

Week 5:  run  21 miles

Week 6:  run 24 miles

Week 7:  run 26 miles

Week 8:  run 22 miles

Week 9:  run 21.1, including 13.1miles (1/2 marathon)

I know with dedication and time management, I can do this.  If you are interested in joining me, please let me know.  I'd love a running partner!

4 comments:

The Nedrys said...

Seriously, you are a rock star! Running a half marathon...I don't think I could ever do it! I hope your training is enjoyable and you do well in the race! I can't wait to see pics of the actual event.

Just as a side note...I miss you! I think you should move back :)

Alycat said...

i so wish i could!!!

Lisa said...

... yeah, because your other one got pregnant and had to bail out on you!

Oh, all I can say is that I am envious. I have heard that this is a really nice half-marathon for first-timers. I'll let you break the ice, and we'll do one together next year. You'll do great Kristen.

Colleen said...

That is a fantastic goal, Kristen! And like you said, very do-able. I've only ever run one half marathon, and it was almost six years ago now that I did it, but I still consider it one of the great accomplishments of my life and hope to do another one! Good luck! You will be great!