Today, Haley brought home a pigs heart from school. She was so excited that she was the only one in class to bring home the heart. Of course, my Haley was the only one to bring the pigs heart to her mother. Lucky me! They dissected it in school and she wanted to show me. Now, I love hearts, I think they are one of the most amazing organs in our body, plus I work on the cardiac floor at the hospital. Haley and I talked about the heart for a while then took the pictures and she threw it in the garbage.
On a side note, Haley's class is learning about the heart. She told her teacher that I'm a heart nurse and volunteered me to talk to her class about the heart's anatomy & physiology. I did some research because I wasn't sure how to "dumb it down" to a class of 5th graders. I pulled a picture of the heart and explained how it worked in conjunction with the lungs. Then I had them take their resting heart rate and then they jumped and ran in place for 30 seconds. They again took their heart rate and they did a little math to find the difference. They started asking questions about shocking someones heart, then I went into the different types of rhythms the heart can have. I was planning to talk about 10 minutes, but it quickly turned into 25 minutes. Haley said I did really good, and hopefully they learned something. It was a fun experience, but I'm not sure what else she'll be volunteering me for.
No comments:
Post a Comment