These are my two favorite recipes for the Fall season. I just made the soup last week. Haley didn't remember having it last year. She was disappointed when I told her we were having soup, but after her first taste, all she could say was, "YUM!" Needless to say, Haley and Sydney had seconds. I haven't made the brownies yet, but I have full intentions do so by the end of this month.
Butternut Squash Soup
"The quintessential fall soup!"
Serve with French bread & green salad. Forgiving of spice substitutions.
6 T chopped onion
3 T butter
6 cups butternut squash-peeled & cubed
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram or parsley
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
8 oz cream cheese
Salt to taste
3 cans chicken broth (I used home-made chicken broth)
Sauté the onions in butter until tender. Add all but the cheese. Boil 20 minutes or until squash is tender. Puree squash & the cream cheese (I added 1 cup broth) in batches until smooth. (In blender or food processor). Return to pot, heat through but do not boil.
Harvest Pumpkin Brownies
1 can 15oz. pumpkin
4 eggs
¾ cup oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 TBSP pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp. salt
Frosting
6 TBSP softened butter or margarine
3 oz. Softened cream cheese
1tsp. vanilla
1-2 tsp. milk
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups powdered sugar
In mixing bowl, beat pumpkin, eggs, oil and vanilla until mixed well. Combine dry ingredients and mix into pumpkin mixture until mixed well. Pour into a greased 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees approximately 25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Cool. For frosting, beat butter, cream cheese, vanilla, milk and salt until smooth. Add powdered sugar and beat well. Frost cake and store in refrigerator.
1 comment:
Love the soup!! I'm glad your family likes it. I haven't made it yet this year.
I made some pumpkin bars that are almost the same as your recipe & they were delicious!
Post a Comment