Drew was a little bit scared and anxious last night and continued to ask me to sleep with him. I laid in his bed until he was sound asleep. When we got to the hospital, he was starting to act silly.
Getting ready for surgery. He's all set with his O2 monitor on his finger.
Drew playing with a slinky he got in a box of toys
By this point, Drew got a cocktail of Tylenol & Versed (a sedative-hypnotic drug).
The Versed is really working. He's calm and he even said goodbye to me as he went to surgery. What a brave boy! It might have had something to do with the drugs too.
After the surgery the surgeon came out and he said there was so much skin that had adhered, and it took quite a bit longer than expected. He said his "man parts" will take a couple months for it to look as it should, due to swelling and it healing as it should. He has 2 stitched that will come out on its own in about 2 weeks.
When I went back to the PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit), this is how I found Drew. Asleep with 6L of oxygen running. His vitals were wonderful and he was looking great.
The nurse warned me that children his age act out in a violent and negative way when coming off anesthesia. One mother got a black eye from her child and another mother handed her child back and said "this is not my child". I was prepared for the worst. When Drew woke up, he was quite out of it, but soon the pain took over and he was whining of how much pain he was in. I tried to distract him from the pain by offering him ice chips and apple juice. The worked for only so long.
When I went back to the PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit), this is how I found Drew. Asleep with 6L of oxygen running. His vitals were wonderful and he was looking great.
The nurse warned me that children his age act out in a violent and negative way when coming off anesthesia. One mother got a black eye from her child and another mother handed her child back and said "this is not my child". I was prepared for the worst. When Drew woke up, he was quite out of it, but soon the pain took over and he was whining of how much pain he was in. I tried to distract him from the pain by offering him ice chips and apple juice. The worked for only so long.
They gave him Motrin, but it took a good 15 minutes for them to give him IV Morphine. 1mg really does the trick with him. He settled right down and even slept in my lap for 30 minutes more. When he finally woke up, he was happy and pleasant to be around.
Drew with nurse Christina
Drew with nurse Christina
Jeff and I were hungry, so we went to a burger joint and got Drew Jamba Juice. He begged us for a corn dog, which he scarfed down. You can see the morphine is still working and he's still acting silly.
More morphine silliness
After a 45 minute car ride home, he started complaining about his tummy hurting. When he got out of the car, he vomited the jamba juice & the corn dog. I call it vomitus-maximus. It just kept coming! An hour later, he had a 1/2 piece of bread and he's kept it down for a few hours.
He has Tylenol with codeine and hopefully it helps keep the pain at bay.
We got him in the house for a quite day of Wii Super Mario Bros. Drew and Jeff have been playing it all afternoon and Drew's been loving every minute of it. The doctor ordered him to keep his activity level to a minimum, so this is definitely a great way!

9 comments:
We're glad everything went okay. I'm sure Drew will be back to his normal self in no time.
What a champ! That is a tough surgery for a little guy to have to go through. Hope he is back to feeling great very soon!
Oh, my heart goes out to the little guy. One of my brothers had a mal-performed circumcision that had to be redone at a later age, and it was quite traumatic (for him and my parents.) I'm sure Drew will need lots of quiet down time to rest and recover. Glad all went well, though. He's such a sweet little guy.
wow, what a trooper! The poor guy. I don't know how you did it, I would be bawling the whole time! I'm so glad everything went well and he's okay! He's growing up so fast:)
Yeah, I'm glad it went well. I hope the meds keep the pain manageable. Especially since you have to work. Good luck!!
I'm glad he made it out of the car before the corn dog came back!
So glad it all went well! The morphine photos are hilarious! I can't believe how big he's getting. When we met you he was a tiny newborn!
Hey! I'm so glad to hear that everything went OK with Drew and the general anesthesia. This really reminds me of the surgery Brady had at 1 for his tear duct. He was a little irritable coming to, but proceeded to be hysterically happy the rest of the day. It's weird how they react to drugs.
I meant to ask if there was anything I could do to help. Now that we have a space of our own, I'm ready to have Drew come over or bring you dinner or anything. Please let me know!
Oh poor Drew! I hope he is doing well now! I miss you...sorry I am so lame and have not called. I really am not the best at that. I will email or call soon so we can catch up one way or another!
Hello again Kristen,
I somehow deleted your e-mail from my address book, and was trying to send Drew an invitation to Noah's birthday party this Saturday. Will you e-mail me as soon as you get this? Thanks.
Post a Comment