Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sydney's First Day of School

Today was Sydney's first day of 2nd grade. She hasn't been looking forward to going to school for the past few weeks. It could be that this is her third school since April and she doesn't have any friends, plus Haley is not going to the same school (I'll explain later). I tried to make this a very positive experience for her, but it backfired. When I walked her to the classroom, she said she didn't want to go. She was crying and so sad. She misses all of her friends from Little Cedars and was afraid that no one would be her friend. It took over 10 minutes to get her into the classroom, and then I still had to unlatch her off my arm and I had to walk away as her teacher held her back. Thankfully Jeff was there for support, because I don't think I could have done it without him.
Sydney before school







I was most certain that I would have received a phone call from the school stating that Sydney was crying all day and misbehaving. Thankfully, I never got the call, and she did as good as could be expected considering the circumstances.

I came to pick her up and her teacher reported that she cried for a few minutes, then later that day, but overall she had a very good day. She made a lot of friends, and they were very nice to her, and they made sure to say goodbye at the end of the day.
This is what she looked like when I picked her up after school:

When I registered the girls at their school, they stated that they had no room for Haley and she was 3rd on the waiting list. Because she is an overflow, they would bus her to another school. After doing research, I decided I didn't want her to go to that school, based on school scores and rankings. I was able to do an inter-district transfer, because Jeff works in the school district boundaries, and she is going to another school, which starts Monday. As of today, she is 1st on the list, so when space becomes available, she'll transfer to Sydney's school. It will be quite the run around each day, because Haley's school starts and gets out 1 hour before Sydney's. I'm going to be one of those Taxi Mom's, one which I never thought I'd be.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Woah! That is crazy! I am so glad when we moved we didn't have to deal with that garbage, but fortunately, so late in the year, there were a few open spaces in our neighborhood school. Poor Sydney, and poor you! That must have been so hard. But it looks like she is going to enjoy it after all! Hopefully someone with a third grader moves soon!

Lisa said...

i hope this week is better and that Haley can move over to that school. Good luck!! I hope Syd can make a friend soon!! does she know anyone from her class(church or neighborhood) if so, maybe have a playdate so they can become better friends. Wish everyone luck!! Thanks for having us over, the kids had a great time playing and me visiting. Good luck on your test!!!! I hope all your studying comes back to mind and you finish quickly. Here's to an A!