Saturday, October 13, 2007

To Splurge or To Skimp?

My sister gave me a great idea.
What are 10 things you splurge on and 10 things you skimp on?

Here is what I splurge & skimp on:

My Splurges
1. Hair products - My hair dresser introduced me to my favorite shampoo/conditioner. It is Back to Basics, Coconut Mango. Everytime I shampoo & conditoner my hair it smells like I am in a tropical paradise!

2. My couch- If you have sat on our couch, you would know how comfortable it is. Every fiber is leather, and we spared no expense. The payments weren't pleasant, but it is something we want to keep for a very long time and we know it is a good investment. Not to mention, anything that spills on it, it can be wiped off.

3. TV- It has been about 5 years since we purchased our TV, but back in the day it was a luxury to have a 52" TV. Now with plasma's so cheap now, I'm trying to talk Jeff into another one that doesn't take up as much room.

4. Car- We bought our Acura MDX about 2 years ago. I wanted a nice car with leather seats that the entire family can comfortably sit in. Acura is a higher-end Honda name, so it is nice to know how dependable it is and it will last us a long time. Another great thing about the car is that it has a Navigation system, heated seats, and a third row, so when our children misbehave, we can send them to the back.

5. Our home- We really like our home, and especially our neighborhood. Prior to our purchase, our home was a forclosure, and there was absolutely nothing special about our home. Since we've moved two years ago, we have painted every possible wall/room, completely replaced all the flooring in the entire house (tile in bathrooms, wood in kitchen & dining, and lush carpet throughout). Early this year, we added a 300 sq.ft. bonus room where the kids can play.

6. Food - this is in both categories. I love to spend a few extra dollars on good food, especially when I go out to eat.

7. Body Wash & lotion- This may not be a total splurge, but I love Bath & Body Works products.

8. Haircuts- I don't mind spending a few extra dollars on haircuts for a few reasons; 1) because I only cut my hair 2-3 times a year, and 2) a really good cut helps cut the hair preparation time each day. With my busy schedule, I can't spend extra time on my hair.

9. Desserts- I have a sweet tooth. Jeff & I frequent Cold Stone. We do the bargain thing, and go on Monday night when kids eat free with a Love It/Gotta Have It creation.

10. Travel/Entertainment- This summer we spent a pretty penny and went to Disneyland for 3 days with the kids. We are taking another trip for our anniversary in December and cruising for 7 days in the Eastern Caribbean.

My Skimps
1. Food - It is in both categories, because I like to bargain shop for groceries at WinCo. Love that store, because I can buy quality brand-name food for less!

2. Haircolor- I am really picky about my hair color, how much, where it is placed...etc. I just prefer to do it myself, plus I can't imagine spending ooldes of money on color, when I can do it myself for $5 a time.

3. My kids clothes- I love brand name clothes like Gymboree, Gap...etc. I can't bring myself to spend so much money on kids clothes when they grow out of them so fast. I love to shop at the sales racks at Target, Children's Place Outlet, and Carters Outlet. I will buy more quality clothes for Haley's because I want to hand it down to Sydney and still last.

4. Sunglasses- I buy cheap glasses. I lose them or they break (sometimes because of my kids using them). I don't spend a fortune. This summer I recently found some in the $1 bin at Target. I snached up a few.

5. Cell phone- For years, I have gone without a phone, and last month, I broke down and got a Motorola Razor. I love it, but the $150 phone came free with my contract.

6. Handbags - My last purchase was at Target. A cute sea-foam green leather bag that was 75% off. What a deal!

7. My clothes- I don't spend a lot of money on my clothes. In a store I head straight for the clearance racks. This summer while in LA, I went to H&M with my sisters. Their clearance racks were buy1 get1 free. I was all over that.

8. Shoes- I like to buy nice quality shoes at a bargain price.

9. Makeup- I like ELF cosmetics. There are some really good items that they sell, and they are only $1!

10. Textbooks- I buy all my books at Half.com. We also buy other things like books, movies, gameboy games, and most recently memory card for Jeff's playstation.

If you have read this it is now your turn ... What 10 things do you splurge on and what 10 things do you skimp on?

No comments: