Friday, December 4, 2009

Finally!

I am proud to say that I finally got a job. The week before we left to Disneyland I interviewed for 2 jobs. The first was a clinical intake RN for an insurance agency, basically taking claims. I didn't want the job, but thought it would be good to brush up on my interview skills since I haven't interviewed for a job since 1999.

The second job I interviewed was for a hospital nearby. I went to the recruiter's office and tried to get a job. She said they were not hiring new grads because of funding, but they were hiring the new grads as Acute Care Assistants. Once a RN job becomes available, then the ACA new grads will be internal applicants and get the job. I thought I'd give it a try, so I applied. I had an interview with the hospital and thought it went pretty well. I think the manager liked me. They said they would call me in a few weeks for a second interview. Well, the next morning, I got a call requesting my presence at a second panel interview that day. I made childcare arrangements and was interviewed by a panel.

On Tuesday at Disneyland, I got a call from the recruiter offering me the ACA job. I accepted and start on 12/7. I will be working nights from 7pm-7am. The first week of employment is training all day M-F.

I am excited to get my foot in the door and get my feet wet since I have not been in a hospital since June. I'll definitely be paying my dues working as a ACA, and will be thrilled to finally use my skills, knowledge and training when a RN position becomes available. To look on the bright side the recruiter said the RN manager really likes me and said a RN position is opening in the very near future. I'm not sure what very near means, but hopefully less than 2 months.

I have to say that because the job market for new grads is so bad, Jeff suggested I volunteer at a hospital. I was leary, with this new job at least I'm getting paid and now I'll be an internal employee; as a volunteer I would not be considered an employee. Thankfully I held out.

4 comments:

Our Family said...

Congrats Kristen!!! That is so exciting!!! You will be GREAT!

Lisa said...

Congratulations!!! I heard you got snowed out the first day. I hope training is going well. Good luck to a quick opening position!!!!

Aimee Oliver said...

Congrats on the new job, Kristin! Hopefully, "paying your dues" won't last too long! Here's to the RN job opening quickly!!

Anjee said...

Kristen,

Congratulations on your job! I am so happy for you.

It looks like you are loving it in Cali. We miss you. Your Christmas card was so cute. You have such a beuatiful family.