Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hallway cabinet makeover

Since the beginning of the year, we have been working on DIY cabinet makeovers.  Our 1980's wood cabinets are nice and sturdy, but very much outdated.  We tossed the idea around of replacing all the cabinets in the bathrooms, hallway, laundry room and the entertainment center in the family room.  All we saw was $$$$.  We didn't want to spend a lot of money since we have to desperately replace our front deck which will cost a pretty penny.  So we found a solution one day and although we weren't planning on doing it at the moment, we bit the bullet and started at the beginning of the year.  It is a good winter project to do.  Here is the hallway cabinet transformation:

Before:


The first step was to degloss the entire surface of the cabinets & drawers.


I painted 2 coats of black paint.  We wanted a classic look and we went with black.
I sanded the edges to give it a distressed look.

After sanding, I put a "Decorative Glaze", which essentially is a non-oil based tint, which gives the sanded edges a richer look.  After that I put one coat of a clear gloss over it and...voila!

Jeff added the hardware to the cabinets & drawers and I think it completes the look.

Side by side before & after pictures

1 comment:

Ali said...

Looking good! It's amazing how a little paint can totally transform a space. Keep up the good work!